
- dog and pony show 假鬼假怪(狗狗和小馬的表演)
an impressive show or performance to impress someone, like a boss or superior. 為了給老闆或上司等人留下好印象,賣力進行的演出或表演。
Our regional manager will be visiting the office next Friday so we will have to put on a dog and pony show for him. 我們的分區經理下星期五要來辦公室參觀,所以我們到時候得好好裝忙給他看。
- dog days of summer 炎炎夏日(夏天的狗日)
the very hot days in July and August. 七、八月時非常炎熱的日子。
During the dog days of summer, it is best to drink lots of fluids and stay out of the sun. 在炎炎夏日中最好要攝取大量水分,且不要待在大太陽底下。
- go to the dogs 每況愈下(餵給了狗狗)
for something to have taken a turn for the worse. 某件事的情況惡化。
Albert’s plan to lose weight has gone to the dogs. He has gained more weight than he lost. 艾伯特減重的計畫無疾而終。他增加的體重甚至比減掉的多。
- hair of the dog that bit you 以毒攻毒(那隻咬你的狗狗身上的毛)
the root of your illness used as a remedy or a cure, especially for alcohol related hangovers. 以致病的病因做為療法或治癒之用,尤指喝酒導致的宿醉。
I think that I need a little hair of the dog that bit me to cure this terrible hangover that I have. 我覺得我要以毒攻毒、再喝一點酒來減輕強烈的宿醉頭痛。
- His bark is worse than his bite 刀子嘴豆腐心(牠叫得比咬得厲害)
an expression used when a person seems to be more aggressive or intimidating than he or she actually is. 形容某人看起來比實際上更為好鬥或嚇人。
Don’t worry about Mark. His bark is worse than his bite. Once you get to know him, you’ll find that he is one of the nicest people that you’ll ever meet. 你別擔心馬克啦。他只是看起來很兇而已。你有機會認識他,就會發現他是你碰過最和善的人。
- If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas 近朱者赤,近墨者黑(如果你跟狗狗躺在一起,起來後就會惹來跳蚤)
You will acquire the faults of bad people if you associate with them. 如果你跟壞人牽扯在一起,就會染上他們的惡習。
Steven’s father warned Steven to stay away from the older group of rough looking teenagers by saying, “If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas.” 史蒂芬的爸爸為了警告他遠離那群看似不良的年長青少年,因此對他說:「近朱者赤,近墨者黑。」
- like a dog with two tails 欣喜若狂(像有兩條尾巴的狗狗)
very happy. 非常開心。
Martin acted like a dog with two tails when he received the new computer program that he wanted for his birthday. 馬汀收到他生日想要的新電腦程式,簡直樂歪了。
- Love me, love my dog 愛屋及烏(愛我,也愛要我的狗狗)
If you love someone, you should accept everything about that person, including their faults. 如果你愛某人,就應該接受那個人的一切,包括他的缺點。
When Joe asked Karen to marry him, she responded by saying, “Love me, love my dog.” 阿喬向凱倫求婚時,她回答:「你要愛屋及烏。」
- You can’t teach an old dog new tricks 積習難改(老狗學不了新把戲)
It is very difficult to teach new skills or change longstanding habits or character traits in people. 要教會人們新技巧,或令他們改變積習或人格特質是非常困難的。
I tried to show my father how to use the computer, but you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. 我試著向老爸示範如何用電腦,但老狗總是學不會新把戲。
*資料來源: EZ TALK《狗狗遛英文》
你可能有興趣
嚴選課程試看影片
所有留言
使用Google登入